Run Doodle Run

The long road to 26.2


Leave a comment

So I’ve been a little MIA lately. I can explain, I promise.

Pax passed away three days after my last post. I went to visit him and his wife in hospice that Wednesday, but he was so sedated to help with the pain that he was all but comatose. He could still hear, apparently, so I talked at him for a bit and told him some things I had wanted to tell him two years ago (he – unknowingly – introduced my husband and I to each other my senior year). I had no idea how to get in touch with him then, and I wish I had actually been able to talk to him, but this was the best option I had. It was hard, but I’m glad I went. It was good to see his wife, too. He passed just 24 hours after I visited. It’s weird, he was up and talking Monday, basically said his last words Tuesday, was sedated Wednesday, and dead Thursday. It’s just so surreal. One of my ex’s mom was diagnosed with cancer when he was 2 and she lived 18 years. Pax didn’t even get 18 days.

The facebook group that was started for him grew to over 1,300 people; I don’t know most of them, but it’s interesting to read their stories. There are so many similarities among the thousands of students he touched over the 20+ years he taught. Some of us were able to get back into the band room that weekend, thanks to the dance teacher; it was good to be together in there one more time, retelling all of the best stories of high school. I’m not one to enjoy reliving high school, but it was comforting – and a lot of fun – this time. Just a shame it had to be due to a death.

The place hasn't changed a bit in 12 years

The place hasn’t changed a bit in 12 years

I did manage to get some running in, including a 6 mile long run last weekend. It was cold and overcast, but the best part was the snow! None of it stuck, but there’s something really enjoyable about running in the snow. And even though it was cold, there were actually a lot of people out – many more than I expected. I did an easy out and back, and it snowed almost the whole time (except for when it sleeted on me… that was just unpleasant). My husband started out with me, but fell back after a mile. He wasn’t planning on running all the way with me, so it wasn’t a big deal. I was quite proud of myself for running as much of it non-stop as I did (the whole way back!!).

snowy run

snowy run

I’m glad I made it out for this run, because I woke up to a nasty surprise Sunday morning. Nothing makes a better wake up call at 4:00am than norovirus. It was really pretty bad. Like so bad I passed out and ended up stuck between the toilet and the tub in between vomiting sesions… and that was my cue to visit Patient First. I can’t sing their praises enough – two bags of saline and an anti-nausea injection later, I actually felt human again. Well, sorta. It did make the whole thing much more bearable. By the time the snowstorm to end all snowstorms moved in on Tuesday night, I was mostly better. Oh, yeah, and the snowstorm just turned into a big sloshy mess. The sun’s out, the birds are chirping, and it’s a gorgeous weekend. I’m hoping for a 7 miler tomorrow.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s